In 1884, the Ladies Aid was organized. Its goal was to raise funds for foreign and Home Missions.
The earliest minutes we have recorded are for a meeting held at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Morton Hillard on October 28, 1890. The following offers were elected:
*President: Mrs. Morton (Maren) Hillard
*Vice President: Mr. Ole Hendrickson
*Secretary: Mr. Morton Hillard
*Treasurer: Mrs. Ole (Berta) Hendrickson
The following members were present: Mrs. Maren Hillard, Mrs. Olia Steine, Miss Giskien Stein, Mrs. Jensine Nilsen, Mrs. Berta Hendrickson, Mrs. Sofia Hendirckson, Mrs. Karen Finseth, and Mrs. Johannia Johnson.
The meetings were held at the homes beginning at 11 a.m. The hostess served dinner which was followed by devotions by either Pastor or layman.
The Ladies Aid bought piece goods which was cut and sewed by members present in the afternoon with one of the men reading a good book, sometime in story form, no gossiping going on there. About 5 o’clock a light lunch was served which gave time for a little visiting before going home. Oxen or horse drawn lumber wagons were their means of transportation while many walked. The articles sewed by members were sold at an auction sale held during the summer, outside in some grove at one of the member’s homes. It was often held on the Fourth of July. There was always a program followed by a free dinner served on long tables. Members brought cream, milk, sugar, eggs, and ice which was made into ice cream with young men turning the freezer crank. Cake and ice cream was then sold, a delicacy not common in those days.
After 1912, the meetings began at 2 p.m. instead of being an all-day affair. Up to the year 1910, there are recorded the names of 22 members taking part. They had raised annually between #110 and $143. By 1915, the yearly income was $220 and 23 meetings were held, meeting twice a month. They had been giving flowers for memorials at funerals, by in 1920 this was changed, and memorial money was sent to Missions. This was still being done until the late 1950s. In 1927, suppers were served in the church parlors, but in 1942, this was discontinued and each member gave a donation, but bake sales continued to be held for 20 more years.
We joined the Women’s Federation in 1944 and served the W. M. F. Spring Workers Conference on April 26, 1955.
In 1960, we became a part of the American Lutheran Church Women and support all its mission projects with our free will offerings. We hold monthly afternoon meetings with Bible Study, business, and lunch. Special projects now include an annual fancy work sale and lunch, bake sales, serving for farm auction sales, potluck dinners, and the Fall Harvest Festival Sunday dinner. Mission Outreach includes LWR clothing projects, giving programs, and serving lunch at local Rest Homes, and supporting various local charitable causes with money gifts. We celebrate silver and golden wedding anniversaries and give bridal showers for all member of our congregations. What fun!